Sunday 13 April 2014

American Bar The Savoy Cocktail Bar Review

American Bar The Savoy Cocktail Bar Review

I've been single for a while and during that time, I've learnt to enjoy my own company and be more independent.  That's why I thought nothing of it (in fact I really enjoyed it) about seeing the swan lake ballet show at the London Coliseum on my own.  As if that wasn't classy enough (I'm a classy bird, me), I stopped by the American Bar at the Savoy afterwards.

I've only been inside the Savoy once and that was for an awards dinner in the ballroom with my last job years ago and it was actually the first event they hosted since opening its doors again after that somewhat over budget refurbishment.  Perhaps it was the nerves that ended up with a waitress accidentally dropping a pear on my lap during dinner.  Not only did she apologise profusely but at least 2 other members of the Savoy staff came over also to apologise and they offered to sort out dry cleaning for my dress.  It was only Miss Selfridge!  It was only a pear!!  However they treat everyone with so much friendliness and respect and it was exactly the same this time round.  It makes you appreciate how good manners can really put you at ease.

The American Bar has a 1920's feel that is reflective of the hotel.  No photos I took of the room itself did justice to the intimate feel to the place so you'll just have to deal with the selfie I took on the way in.  The atmosphere was conservatively lively; not too raucous but not devoid of life either.

American Bar The Savoy Cocktail Bar Review
Excellent mirror for a selfie

American Bar The Savoy Cocktail Bar Review

I had the Blushing Monarch.  A lot of contenders to choose from but it was a gin (Bombay of course) and passion fruit that won me over.  Not to mention that it was made for Princess Diana.  The Blushing Monarch is therefore the most prestigious cocktail I have ever had.  The only thing that would top it is if someone specially created one for me.

Whilst sipping on this special cocktail, the bartender passed me their prized first edition copy of the Savoy Cocktail Book (first out in 1930) for me to leaf through.

American Bar The Savoy Cocktail Bar Review
When I looked this up on Google, it was selling on one website for £375, eek

The American Bar is as classy as its hyped up to be.  I enjoyed sitting at the bar and watching the smartly dressed bartenders make drinks (they are all for very vigorous shaking) and listening to them talking about cocktails.  In fact I would definitely recommend going solo.  Go on, give it a go ;-)


No comments:

Post a Comment